One of the key ideas of our conversion is to add the electrical system without disabling the car and without taking out the existing engine. That means that for longer distances we can still use the petrol engine as a range extender. But in order to make room for the electric motor we had to take out the current exhaust system and put in a new one – which we did yesterday. Doing so we were kindly sponsored with a new (more compact muffler) by Karl Werrett and Helen Trist from PitStop in Petone for which we are very grateful!
Last week we tested the electrical system for the first time and after some tweeking the “sonsorless vector control” of the inverter is now working nicely and we can ref the motor up to 7500rpm.
While it was fairly easy to build the aluminium boxes for the batteries, it took me quite a while to get all the wiring done and hook up the BMS (battery management system). But after a good 100 hours of work the 2 boxes with 96 batteries are finally running
I think I simply underestimated the time it would take me to connect each individual cell to the BMS and also how much effort all the little details shown bolow on the right hand side take.
After nearly finishing the battery boxes last week I got to start putting some of the contactors and relays together today. It’s a new and interesting task for me and quite different to the mechanical manufacturing I’ve been focusing on so far.
Had a first go at assembling the battery boxes this weekend. In this picture you can see one pack consisting of 24 Lithium-Ion batteries (40Ah) with a total capacity of 3kWh. The green bit in the front is the battery managment system. More soon …
It’s the part I like the least about this conversion: having to do the finances and tax returns. But after many brave hours of batteling its done
Now I can get back to the stuff I really like: building the battery boxes and working on the kickstarter movie. With both I made some progress over the last few weeks: all the plans for the boxes are done and submitted to the water-cutting company. And the greenscreen recordings are done and with my brother now for processing.
10 days ago Robert and I had another quite taxing weekend that we spend for the most part in the workshop. But the result is that we nearly finished the drive assembly:
The result doesn’t look to bad – and resembles the computer drawing quite nicely
Next stop: battery boxes!